The worksheets and activities in this lesson address general characteristics of rocks, facts about the processes of the rock cycle as well as specific information on the three types of rocks: igneous, sedimentary, & metamorphic. This interactive activity will get your students up, out of their seats and collaborating in no time!
**Please Note: This lesson is part of my Environmental Science: Lithosphere Bundle.***
Topics include: general characteristics of rocks, rock cycle, uniformitarianism, plutonic and volcanic rocks, composition & texture of igneous rocks, sediments, clastic sedimentary rocks, chemical sedimentary rocks, and organic sedimentary rocks, weathering/erosion, types of metamorphism, foliated and non-foliated metamorphic rocks, felsic, mafic, ultramafic, and intermediate compositions, as well as common examples of each rock type.
My environmental science lessons are designed to facilitate independent learning and are ideal for sub plans or simply to encourage self-instruction of basic concepts.
Included in this product:
1. Teacher lesson plan including live web-links
2. Introductory PowerPoint presentation on the general characteristics of rocks and the rock cycle
3. Jigsaw Activity- students become experts on a specific type of rock and, after viewing a PowerPoint presentation and completing a note-sheet, students share information within their groups. Each group is then responsible for creating a poster of the 3 types of rocks and the rock cycle.
Teacher and student instructions for the jigsaw activity are included.
4. Igneous Rocks PowerPoint presentation and note-sheet
5. Sedimentary Rocks PowerPoint presentation and note-sheet
6. Metamorphic Rocks PowerPoint presentation and note-sheet
*Alternately, the teacher may present each PowerPoint rather than using the jigsaw activity. Students may also view the PowerPoints independently, as each PowerPoint has a GoogleDrive web-link for easy viewing from any location.
My Environmental Science Series includes lessons for each sphere of the earth:
1. Environmental Science: Atmosphere Bundle
2. Environmental Science: Biosphere Bundle
3. Environmental Science: Lithosphere Bundle
4. Environmental Science: Hydrosphere Bundle (coming January 2017)
These lessons are designed to be easy to use for both students and teachers. Regardless of whether you've taught Earth Science or Environmental Science for years or just need a few quick lessons to add to your science curriculum, this is the perfect selection.
You may also be interested in these lessons:
World Biomes Poster Project
Ecology Task Cards
STEAM Lab: Building an Simple Electric Generator using Renewable Energy Sources
STEAM Bundle: Earth's Atmosphere-Composition & Layers
Designed and Implemented by: Anne Morgan, Biology & Environmental Science Teacher
***If you enjoy this product, please rate it and provide feedback. ***
Check out my blog for more science tips, tricks, labs, and news!