In this lab activity, students will investigate 3 factors that affect the rate of chemical reactions: denaturation, coenzymes, and competitive inhibitors. Students will perform a simulation of a chemical reaction with an enzyme represented by a hand, the substrate represented by pennies on the ground, and the chemical reaction represented by flipping the pennies over (one at a time) to be heads up on the desk. Each group will complete 4 trials before class data is collected for students to graph, analyze, and write a conclusion from. This is an excellent lab to help your students understand the effect of enzymes on biochemical reactions, and is great to use in a classroom with limited space and materials, because you don’t need much!
Do not purchase if you have already purchased my Energy Flow Unit Bundle
or Biology Complete Curriculum Bundle
because you already have this product!
How can I use this?
• Practice for understanding enzymes and their effect on biochemical reactions
• As an inquiry investigation before providing any instruction on enzymes
What is included?
• 4 pages of teacher implementation notes
• 4 pages of student handouts
• Answer Key
• Excel spreadsheet to graph class data
How much class time will this take?
This lab tends to take 1.5 hours to complete.
What if I want more?
This product is part of my Energy Flow Unit bundle. Be sure to check it out by clicking HERE!
What if I have a question?
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name. I add new products often so this is the best way to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at 50% off by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.