Products in this Bundle (2)
Also included in
- Get your year off to an amazing start with this bundle for newcomer and beginner ESL students who are learning English. It is likely to keep you going for several weeks!DAY ONE - Get to know your students.Epic SMART Goals. - Analyze a summary of JFK's speech adapted for ELLs and then have them creat$9.99$16.47Save $6.48
- Make your year a little easier, and give your ELL students high quality, high interest, fun materials! If you covered everything in this pack it would probably take around 70 school days. That's a lot of material for your school year -- nearly 4 months!Many of these 30+ resources work with multiple$49.99$99.80Save $49.81
The best way to start your year!
At two reading levels: an accessible reading level for lower level readers / ESL ENL students, and at a more advanced reading level.
Start by checking out perhaps the greatest SMART goal in history: JFK's speech that sent America to the Moon.
Students analyze what made it a SMART goal, figuring out the components of a great goal for themselves: displaying crucial inferencing and critical thinking skills.
Students now contemplate a few of their own goals, before moving onto their own EPIC SMART goal.
Next -- inspired by the symbolism of Apollo 11's crest -- students design and create a crest for their SMART goal. This can be cut out and displayed on their binder, journal or the wall, building buy-in for their goal, and getting your year off to a great start.
If you want to push them to the next level, share Kennedy's speech and then have students write a speech of their own on the included Graphic Organizer to present to the class.
- 5-side handout - (at two levels -- perfect for both mainstream and ESL/TESOL/limited reading classes.)
- Designed for flexibility. With optional extra projects, including a student-created speech, and a NASA link to build a scale model of the Earth and Moon, plus student research suggestions, this resource can last anything from one period to a few weeks. Without working on the extra projects, I would expect it to last two to three periods in a typical classroom.
- Color design for high interest on a screen (if you have one). Prints well in black and white.
- Critical thinking is built in.
- Links to three video files (on Youtube) you can use to support the activity.