Students will learn to add and subtract unequal fractions through detailed, kid-friendly guided notes. This lesson begins with reviewing equivalent fractions. Students will give both numerical and model examples. Next, students will learn to find the LCM of two numbers, soon being the denominators of fractions. Students will learn to use the "M Method" by using each column to list the multiples of each number then using the "middle of the m" to record the LCM. Then students will learn to add and subtract fractions using two different methods. First more traditional method by converting fractions using the LCM. Then students will learn to compute fractions by using the butterfly method.
1. Draw wings around the first numerator and second denominator. Then vice versa to the other values.
2. Multiply the numbers in each "wing" by recording the product in the "antenna."
3. Students will either add or subtract the numbers in the antenna to get the numerator for their answer.
4. Both denominators are multiplied to get the denominator for the answer.
5. Reduce or convert to a mixed number if needed.