Also included in
- This bundle includes a PRINT VERSION and 3 leveled GOOGLE SLIDES™ VERSIONS! Tired of looking for fraction resources that will reach ALL of your students? These fraction activities created in Google Slides™ are a powerful tool in building a concrete understanding of fractions as well as extending st$13.07$26.14Save $13.07
These fraction task cards are a powerful tool in building a concrete understanding of fractions. Your students will be completely engaged and challenged as they work to create pattern block pictures equal to a given fraction amount. They are AMAZINGLY EFFECTIVE!
A "Convince Me" section for each task requires students to explain their thinking and use equations to prove their answers. Student work samples are included!
For a quick video peek inside, click the link below.
⭐⭐ If you need these fraction tasks in a digital format, you can find them created in Google Slides™ here! These are leveled into 3 different sets, perfect for differentiating!
The activities use the proportional relationships between Pattern Blocks to build an understanding of unit, equivalent, and improper fractions as well as comparing, adding and subtracting fractions.
Each task allows for individual creativity while building student understanding. Perfect for motivating students!
They are RIGOROUS and hands-on while still being lots of FUN!
After completing the center activities, even my struggling math students:
- understood equivalent and improper fractions as well as mixed numbers
- could name equivalent fractions between halves, thirds, and sixths
- could visualize adding and subtracting halves, thirds, and sixths
- could visualize common denominators
- could compare fractions
- could add and subtract halves, thirds, and sixths
Then, when I directly taught these same concepts, students already had background knowledge that helped them comprehend at a much deeper level. The depth of their understanding was amazing! They could answer fractional questions “in their heads” by visualizing and could automatically apply their understandings and make connections to other fractional concepts that I had not yet taught.
❤️Students' ability to visualize benchmark fractions was truly impressive!
Each activity may be completed in multiple ways for differentiation!
Here's What's Included
- 30 different fraction tasks
- Answer Key for Challenges 21-30. Challenges 1-20 are open-ended
- A Convince Me Page for Justifying Answers
- Student Work Samples
- An Assessment
- An Answer Key for the Assessment
- Essential Questions Posters
- Enduring Understandings Posters
- Teacher Notes and Tips
- Triangle Grid Paper for Student Support
- The activities are aligned with Common Core Standards
- The only materials necessary are the fraction task cards, Pattern Blocks, math journals, and pencils.
- Students choose an activity and complete the required design in at least one way.
- They trace their design in their math journal or onto the included triangle paper.
- Students write a “convince me” statement that explains how their design matches the challenge activity. You can have students color the design to match the Pattern Blocks used.
- Just laminate or use sheet protectors and use year after year!
❤️ Why you’ll L-O-V-E this!
• "A+++ One of my most favorite resources EVER!!!!" –Shauna
• "I examined quite a few fraction pattern block activities before I found and purchased yours! Your creative tasks won me over quickly!" –Dianna
• "Fantastic resource, I used this with my weaker 4th class girls to reinforce their understanding of fractions (although I am now planning to use it for the rest of the class). They went into the exercise confused about fractions and absolutely fed up with them. They finished clamoring to do more. They loved it, very hands-on." –Kate
• "Love the "Convince me" part of every task. Simply brilliant!" –I Heart Math
• "…They challenged themselves to come up with different ways to create the fractions! Our principal & superintendent did a walk-through during this lesson. They both thought it was a fabulous hands-on way to explore fractions!" -Sharon
✋ Looking for more engaging math activities?! Check out these popular resources!
❤️ How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
- Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase, you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
❤️ Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
- Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store. ☺
- Follow me on Facebook for updates on new products and sales
- Follow me on Instagram
- Join my email list by visiting my website and ☺
Have fun Mathing!
This product is for personal use in one classroom only. For use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses.