During May I like to do an author study on Eric Carle. At the same time, we're also incorporating our end of the year beach/summer theme. This pack was created to merge the two! This thematic unit is inspired by three of my favorite Eric Carle stories - "Mister Seahorse", "Little Cloud", and "A House for Hermit Crab".
Inside you will find ..
Eric Carle Reading Response Activities:
1. Mister Seahorse Sequencing Flap Book
2. Mister Seahorse Main Idea Bubble Map
3. My Little Book of Seahorse facts
4. Design a new house for Hermit Crab drawing/writing prompt
5. A House for Hermit Crab Retelling Organizer
6. A House for Hermit Crab story map
7. A House for Hermit Crab game board with comprehension/discussion question cards
8. Little Cloud retelling mini-book (students can write their own version of the story/draw cloud shape pictures)
9. Little Cloud Writing Prompt
10. Just for fun - beach/summer themed writing paper for any use!
1. Mister Seahorse Compound Word puzzles and recording sheet
2. Sea Shell Sort - beach towel sorting mat, 18 shell shaped cards targeting r-controlled vowel sounds; word cards to match to pictures; 2 options for recording
3. Beach Vocabulary Word Puzzles and recording sheet
4. Parts of the Beach - parts of speech write the room activity and recording sheet
5. Little Cloud's Words (real/nonsense word building with the /ou/ dipthong) - word building mats, letter cards, recording sheet
1. Flip-Flop Math Facts - matching related addition and subtraction facts to 18, recording page
2. Beach Sums - double digit addition w/ regrouping center
3. Place Value Volley - partner game to practice place value (#s represented in tens/ones, expanded form, and base ten blocks)
4. Little Cloud's Shapes (matching geometric shapes to their properties)
5. Summer Math Problem Solving Journal - 10 word problems with space for students to draw pictures, write number sentences, and justify answers in words (NOTE - regrouping in addition and subtraction required for some problems)
Please check out the free preview for a better look. Thanks for looking and Happy Teaching! (It's almost summer! wahoo!)