Escape Room with Sharks
Also included in
- Are you ready to try an Escape Room event with your elementary students? I have some perfect choices for you and even a free sample! An Escape room is a puzzle game in which students solve riddles and puzzles and find clues to finish tasks. In these Escape Room students solve puzzles to open lockedPrice $74.00Original Price $93.50Save $19.50
- A time-saver for you during Shark Week! This amazing bundle has a Sharks Escape Room, a Shark Quick STEM Challenge, and a Shark Print and Read resource.NOTE: All three of the resources in this bundle may be purchased separately. NOTE: If you are looking for a reading resource and STEM Challenge withPrice $7.50Original Price $9.50Save $2.00
Are your elementary students loving Escape Rooms or Locked Box challenges? Mine beg for more! So, are you ready? This activity will be perfect for your study of sharks! For this Escape Room, the information within the tasks is all about sharks! It’s an Unlock the Box Challenge with a Science-based theme!
NOTE: This Escape Room is available in money-saving bundles!
How does this work?
STEM Escape Rooms are missions that involve solving riddles and tasks to find clues to open a locked box. Students work together to find the keywords that lead to the needed information to unlock a box.
What are the tasks?
- Box 1 will be solved by students completing math problems to solve a riddle. The riddle’s answer will lead to clues and the lock code.
- After unlocking the box, they are led to Task 2. This one involves putting together a shark puzzle which gives them a clue that leads to the lock code.
- Task 3 uses a map grid to determine which shark to use as a clue and leads to the lock code.
BUT there is MORE! Included in this Escape ROom is a STEM Challenge! And you have options:
- You can use the challenge as a stand-alone project or use it with the Escape Room.
- Award the first team to unlock all the boxes with more materials. The second-place team gets a little less and so on.
- I included a page with lists of materials if you decide to try this unique way.
What do you need?
- You will need three number locks for this escape room.
- Directions are included to use this set without these locks!
- You will also need three boxes. This can be a plastic or metal toolbox, but any box will work- even a cardboard box!
- Directions and photos are included for how to set up the boxes and locks or how to use a version without locks.
Included in the Escape Room file of this resource, you will find:
- Table of contents
- 3 pages of tips and tricks for setting up everything
- For Box 1- teacher directions with photos, student directions, Math problems in two ability levels with answer keys, a shark image to display as hints, and box labels.
- For Box 2- teacher directions with photos, shark puzzles in two sizes, a shark to display for hints, and box labels.
- For Box 3 – teacher directions with photos, map grid with directions and answer key, a shark poster to display, and box labels.
- Miscellaneous forms include Hint cards for each task, an alternative locking system (made of paper), a Planning Check-Off Sheet, Certificates to award students completing the task, shark jokes to use with your displays.
- All pages are provided in a black and white version.
What about the STEM Challenge!
The Challenge is to build a Shark Trap. You will find an overview and hints page, 4 pages of teacher directions, criteria cards for student use, alab sheet with an answer sample, three pages of photos, and a scoring rubric. The scoring rubric, lab sheet, and criteria cards are editable. This STEM Challenge can be purchased separately.
Also, the teacher's guide includes a discussion of the shark trap as being a humane way to relocate the fish without harming them. The safety of the shark is part of the rules of the challenge.
Check the preview to see everything!
Who is this for?
This was tested with third graders! An easier set of student directions is included that has more obvious clues so that those third graders can try an Escape Room! This Escape Room and the STEM Challenge were also tested with fourth and fifth graders. Some items are provided in two ability levels. Three pages of hints and tips will guide you through using this resource. It’s a highly engaging activity that will create a busyness in your classroom that is so much fun.
Comments from my students include:
- “I loved it because it made me think and try to put clues together.”
- “It was fun because it was different.”
- “It was fun even when we got the wrong lock code because we had to learn from messing up.”
For more STEM Escape Rooms, check the custom categories in my store or click below:
- Land Forms
- Space Shuttles
- Winter Sports
- Back to School
- End of the Year
- Valentine's Day
- Animal Adaptations
The Shark STEM Challenge may also be purchased individually:
OR in a money-saving bundle:
Need more shark resources?
- Sharks Little Flipper
- Sharks Non-Fiction Text Features and Task Cards
- Sharks Nonfiction Text Features Boom Cards
- Sharks Reading Paperless Task Cards
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!