Let’s combine technology and the excitement of an escape room and try a Halloween digital breakout! You may already know how highly engaging an escape event can be. You might also be hesitant to try locks and boxes and the prep. I have you covered! The Escape the Haunted House is completely digital! No locks, no boxes, nothing to prep!
Students will tackle four tasks in a Google Slides presentation. Each task focuses on a different skill. This includes a jigsaw puzzle, spelling homophones correctly, addition and subtraction, and reading a Halloween poem. When they have solved the four puzzles, they will take the lock codes they found and click through to the Unlock page in Google Forms. If they have the correct codes, they will Escape the Haunted House!
What is the Escape?
Students are visiting a haunted house for Halloween that has locked doors they cannot open until they complete four tasks. This can be completed by one student, but the ideal number would be 2-3 as a team. The use of collaboration, sharing the work, and communication is one asset of breakouts or escape rooms!
What are the tasks?
- Task 1 – Read a brief message about people being frightened of haunted houses which warns that an owl is scarier. Clicking the owl and the link takes students to an online jigsaw puzzle and the unlock code.
- Task 2 – Students have a poster showing the rules of the haunted house. Each has a misspelled word. There are movable candy pieces with the correct spellings. The number code is found on the candy pieces when matched to the poster rules.
- Task 3 – Students solve 5 word problems and then use a letter-code grid to match the answers of the problems to specific letters. The letters will spell a word that solves a riddle about witches.
- Task 4 – Students read a poem that has highlighted parts. They match movable images to the highlighted clues to determine a number code.
- NOTE: The opening page for each task has a hint box that is movable and includes a tip for students that need it.
- NOTE: Some slides have post-it notes in the margins to move students along when they need an extra boost. You can opt to delete those post-it note images to make this Escape more challenging!
- Unlock Form- students fill in the codes they collected. The answers are self-checking and students cannot advance on the form until the answer is correct.
What is included?
- 20-page Teacher’s Guide with a link to add the Google Slide presentation and Google Form to your Google Drive. The guide has step-by-step instructions if you need them.
- Instructions include how to copy the link, how to set up the file in Google Classroom, how to copy a link to the last page of the student slides, tips for every task, answers to each student task, and how it is found, and more!
- Student activity in Google Slides
- A detailed Answer Key is included.
CHECK THE PREVIEW TO SEE EVERYTHING! WATCH THE VIDEO PREVIEW TO SEE THE TASKS IN ACTION!
Why should you try a paperless breakout?
- It is truly paperless! No printing, no laminating, no cutting, no storage dilemmas, no locks, no boxes.
- Students or teams work on their own copy.
- Students use classroom devices or their own personal devices.
- An escape room or breakout is highly engaging and interactive.
What do you need to know?
- This resource was created using Google Slides and Google Forms.
- You must have a Google account.
- Having a Google Classroom account will help you stay organized and easily assign the breakout.
You are going to love this event! The very detailed teacher's guide will walk you through every part of the breakout.
Need more DIGITAL BREAKOUTS? Try these:
You might also enjoy these Halloween Resources:
- Haunted House Escape Room (with locks and boxes)
- Halloween Print & Read
- Halloween Reading Passages- Digital & Printable
- Halloween Reading and Escape Room Bundle
- Halloween Math Print and Solve Gr. 3
- Halloween Math Print and Solve Gr. 4
- Halloween STEM Quick Challenge Build a Spider Cage
- Escape Room featuring the Skeleton
- Escape Room featuring Spiders
- Halloween Reading Passages Boom Cards
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!