"Esperanza Rising" by Pam Muñoz Ryan A Study Guide is ideal for both the individual reader and for reading groups/classes.
This comprehensive study guide aims to support reflective reading, not to replace it.
1. Teacher's introduction;
2. Detailed, original introduction for students including: an annotated list of characters, genre, themes, setting;
3. Each chapter is accompanied by a detailed commentary and by guiding questions (46 in all). The questions encourage readers to a deeper understanding of the background, themes, and characters of the text. NOTE: No answers are given: trust the students to find their answers. The questions are designed to stimulate thought, discussion and interpretation, not to test, and can be used for self-study, homework, group discussion in class, jigsaw groups, formal presentations, written answers, etc.;
4. Ideas for groupings for classroom discussion, feedback, and presentation;
5. Definitions of key literary terms;
6. Two vocabulary activities and two vocabulary tests (WITH answers);
7. Post-reading discussion topics and activities;
8. Five graphic organizers for student notes. (Again NO completed graphics are included, nor are they needed.)