For the novel Esperanza Rising, this document can act as homework, guided reading groups, or a short reading analysis for each chapter. The document has 14 assignments - one for each chapter of the book. For each chapter, students answer about 6-7 questions on various ELA skills.
• Identifying main idea and support using details from the text
• Identifying and analyzing parts of plot – how elements of a story interact
• Identify conflict and types of conflict
• Analyze how conflict affects characters and creates suspense
• Analyze character and make inferences about character motivation
• Identify and analyze symbols for their deeper meaning
• Identify themes of the text and explain the lesson learned
• Analyze the effectiveness of flashbacks and foreshadowing
• And many other skills!
The assignments can be used for class analysis or for homework. Students must also identify an example of figurative language and draw the visualization. The end of each chapter leaves room for a mini-reading quiz for students to make sure they are reading.
The first page is a homework/classwork responsibility sheet. For each assignment the student turns in, completed, and on time, they receive a stamp. Incomplete homework receives an X and stamp, and missed homework results in an X. Students love a fully stamped homework sheet!
Also included is an answer key! The key provides answers to the questions but not all questions fit into just one answer! Use at your discretion. There are simple comprehension quiz questions with answers in the key as well. The document is in Word to allow for modifications for your individual needs.
If you like this product, check out the same one for the novel Wonder, Percy Jackson, The Outsiders and more!