This item features three writing prompts relevant to both Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. To be clear, all prompts require having read both novels (students will synthesize information from both to sustain claims). These prompts are aligned to the Common Core Standards for writing. A thorough rubric for evaluation is included.
- Develop a concise, compelling claim
- Support a thematic argument using textual details from two novels
- Anticipate audience knowledge
- Establish consistently formal tone in writing
- Show awareness for standard writing conventions (i.e., mechanics and usage)
If you prefer an even more comprehensive resource to make teaching The Hobbit more convenient, consider this mega bundle, which includes a reading guide, an introductory PowerPoint, a set of 10 comprehension quizzes, a unit test, answer keys, and more.