This item features three writing prompts relevant to both Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. To be clear, all prompts require having read both novels (students will synthesize information from both to sustain claims). These prompts are aligned to the Common Core Standards for writing and were produced in a course titled Myth, Science Fiction, and Fantasy. A thorough rubric for evaluation is included.
- Develop a concise, compelling claim
- Support a thematic argument using textual details from two novels
- Anticipate audience knowledge
- Establish consistently formal tone in writing
- Show awareness for standard writing conventions (i.e., mechanics and usage)