Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
4.1 MB | 97 pages
The following writing pack contains 5 units of writing. They focus on the following:
1. Analytic Response - Scaffolded writing that helps students compose a response (similar to responses required on state tests) with quoted evidence. The focus is how to properly quote evidence and provide analysis of the evidence to support the answer to the question. This is done using the novel Tears of a Tiger and a Bluford novel but can be adapted for any other novel.
2. Essay Workshop 1 - The basics of introductions and conclusions. Students are led through guided work on how to compose proficient introductions with a hook, general information, and a thesis. Then, they are led through composition of a conclusion. They practice creating both while outlining the topics of the rest of the essay. These basics are done with fun questions and others based on the novel Speak.
3. Essay Workshop 2 - This packet puts together all the basics for efficient essay writing. The focus is on organization, outlines, body paragraphs, and specific topic sentences. Students work on each part with the teacher and then perform independent work. Complete essay writing concludes the workshop.
4. Essay Workshop 3 - This packet hones in on the body paragraphs. The focus is on sentence variety and building a larger writer's toolkit. The body paragraph was specifically taught in the first unit, so students have a strong background. The packet also discuses ways to strengthen arguments by addressing counterclaims and providing rebuttals.
5. Essay Workshop 4 - Finally, the last workshop develops students' research and organization skills. The workshop breaks down the research process with teacher-led work and then student work. It contains source citation work, notecard and organization techniques, in-text citation development (specifically for research - this was developed in the first workshop with a novel), and works cited page. The packet is mostly focused on Internet research.
The writing workshops are used for middle school, but can be adapted or depending on the level of your students, used in high school.