Also included in
- Handwriting, Phonics, and Word Work Teacher’s Guide from Nellie EdgeHandwriting is taught in an authentic context: First, using each child’s nameThen, real words have personal meaning to a child are introducedFinally, high-frequency “heart word” sentence lessons that build stamina for the Writing Wo$19.00$29.00Save $10.00
No time for isolated handwriting lessons? Teachers LOVE this authentic, integrated approach that builds stamina and fluency for writing workshop.
This research-based handwriting model is NOT mindlessly tracing over one letter! You will ACTIVELY ENGAGE your students as they practice letters within real words and anchor sentences beginning with "I love you." Time-efficient! Brain-friendly! Inexpensive!
I started with "30 Essential Handwriting Lessons," but then I realized you needed more ESSENTIAL resources! So I added 15 bonus pages...and then 15 more...and then 11 more! Yes, 30 lessons and 41 pages of great handwriting resources!
Created BY master kindergarten teachers FOR kindergarten teachers over 10 years of action-research that took place in actual classrooms. These essential, integrated lessons and handwriting-to-read pages are taught using high-frequency "heart words."
See handwriting videos:
1. Teach pencil grip and build strong finger muscles with playful exercises: fingerspell a,b,c,d; duck talk with thumb and pointer; touch thumb to each finger; squeeze and release fist.
2. I Always Start My Letters at the Top
3. I Chant (Top to bottom, left to right)
4. I can draw lines: art lesson
5. O Dance (Curve up and around letters: c, o, a, d, g, q, f, s) plus practice page
6. L-o-v-e Spells Love song (Learn 4 basic handwriting movement patterns)
7. Draw a Twinkling Star! (lift-the-pen movement patterns)
8. Draw a Van Gogh-like Star! (continuous path of motion)
9. How to Draw a 5-point Star
10. Some Letters Are Tall/Small/Fall
11. I remember “d” and “b” (A Reading Recovery® lesson with streamers)
12. How to draw and write dog (white board, then paper)
13. How to draw and write cat (white board, then paper)
14. The Spelling Chant and T-h-e e-n-d: The-end! Chant
15. How to Write “y” and “you!” (learn two different language cues)
16. M-o-m Spells Mom and I love… sentences
17. Celebrate mastery of name writing: Use this Crown Pattern
18. What Does Quality Handwriting Look Like? (Anchor chart)
19. Capital Letters: Lift the Pen Movement Pattern
20. Capital Letters: Continuous Motion Handwriting Pattern
21. This is my house: h-o-u-s-e lesson, plus drawing page
22. There’s a King of “ing”: i-n-g
23. “Make a Book” Sentences: I see the … My Book, by (Also with Skinny Books)
24. I am a Master of Pink Heart Words: Sing, Sign, Spell, and Read! (Use CD every day for spelling lessons. Make copies of the CD for your families: permission granted!)
25. Fingerspell Everything: Expect Students to . Make an “I am a Fingerspelling Expert!” book. Celebrate mastery. (Book cover incl.)
26. Take the a, b, c, d Challenge: Fingerspell and write each letter fluently.
27. I Can Write CVC Words lessons with white boards/paper (especially words that begin with p, f, b, and r: less commonly used consonants).
28. I Can Write: r, n, m, and h
29. I Can Write All of the Capital Letters
30. Brain Exercises for Fluency
• Little Books
• Year-Long Handwriting Guide
• Handwriting and Spelling Chants
• How-to-draw models (girl, boy, house)
• Name Ticket Practice Books (for practice at home)
• "Heart Words" and Sentences (High-frequency sight words and sentences)
• Developmental levels of writing (share info with families!)
• Speech bubbles (fun!!)
• Student checklist for accountability
Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting lessons are consistent with the principles of visual learning research and a writing-to-read approach to kindergarten literacy.
For more insight into the practice of kindergarten-friendly handwriting, see our FREE E-Book.
This product is one part of our Kindergarten Handwriting Program bundle that has proven successful with diverse kindergarten learners.
If you have already purchased Nellie Edge Online Seminar #2, Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting Matters!, you will already have free access to this updated 2018 resource.
These resources are also included in Nellie Edge Kindergarten Writing Live Workshop #1, "Building the Writing Brain."
Click HERE to Follow My Store and to be notified of new Nellie Edge Kindergarten (PreK-1) products. All new items are listed at 50% off for the first 48 hours after posting! Leave feedback and earn TpT credits.
Find resources and support on my website, NellieEdge.com
SMILES for joyful teaching and learning,