These graphic organisers can be used to explore the meaning of words by inferring meaning from other words that share the same Greek or Latin root. The Root Word Tree and Word Focus Tree (word web) can help to build knowledge of common Greek and Latin root words and affixes, which helps students to decode new vocabulary. The Word Focus Tree can be assigned to tricky words that are repeatedly misspelled.
The Trees can be used as part of a spelling program, when teaching about etymology, or to explore the meaning of technical and specialist vocabulary at the beginning of a lesson or when new words arise within the course of a lesson.
The pack contains
- detailed suggestions for use
- links to online resources
- full colour examples of use at differentiated levels
- blank full colour versions of the trees
- easily printable black line versions of the trees
- two-per-page black line versions for ease of printing and for older students
- Australian Curriculum English links for grades 5 and 6