Use this mini-research project to explore how words are added to the English language.
In this enrichment lesson, students learn about word origins, select a personally meaningful theme, and assemble a collection of terms related to that theme. The finished product is a booklet, poster, or other visual display with the terms and definitions as well as labels indicating the etymology of the words.
Word Origin Categories featured:
- Anglo-Saxon origin words
- Greek or Latin origin words
- Borrowed words
- Eponyms (words from names)
- Words from mythology
- Compound words
- Portmanteau (blended) words
- Clipped words
- Words added in the last 10 years
- Words that will be added in the next 10 years
- Slideshow to introduce and discuss how words are added to the English language and to preview the research project
- Notes for the teacher, with background information and further suggested resources
- Planning worksheet/Graphic organizer for students
- Award cards for peer feedback
The download is a zipped folder that includes two PDF documents: a slideshow presentation and a teacher guide.
Revised Sept. 2015 to add Slideshow and Discussion Guide