Teach or reinforce the literary element of characterization by having your students write a eulogy for Lennie from Of Mice and Men. This lesson can be easily modified to be used with a different novel or short story. Everything is done for you. There is no need to prep. This lesson includes:
1. A PowerPoint presentation that walks you through the lesson, step by step. This presentation includes includes:
1. Do Now: Engaging and provocative writing prompt that
activates schema and gets students thinking about eulogies.
2. A slide that reviews characterization, with visual aids provided.
3. A slide that provides students with an explanation of how to use
the eulogy worksheet provided in this bundle.
4. A slide that uses clear directions and images to explain how to
carry out a mock wake, a very creative and hands-on way to
get students to share their work.
2. A worksheet scaffold that provides students with the support they need for writing their own eulogies. The scaffold can be downloaded as both a pdf file or a Word document that can be edited to suit your needs.
3. A document that contains step-by-step instructions for carrying out the lesson, a sample student eulogy, and suggestions that teachers can follow to tailor this lesson to a different book.
Of Mice and Men