European Explorers – A Fourth Grade PowerPoint Introduction is a PowerPoint 4th grade level instructional presentation
It includes: a PowerPoint presentation of the text along with two slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook (after matching definitions with pictures, definitions may be secured to interactive notebook and edge of matching picture can be secured on top of it so it may be flipped up for study purposes). Students can also complete the activities during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction to light terminology (mission, Northwest Passage, and colony).
• Columbus’ exploration and effects on Native Americans
• Spanish exploration, missions, and Coronado
• French exploration, La Salle, Northwest Passage, and colony (def.).
• Jamestown, Pocahontas, Pilgrims, 1st Thanksgiving, and Capt. John Smith introduced.
• Dutch exploration, Henry Hudson, and the Manhattan purchase from the Lenape
• French and Indian War
The last 2 slides are white-background slides used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
• Activity one has students identifying terminology through a matching activity. Terms included are French and Indian War, colony, Coronado, Northwest Passage, Jamestown, Columbus, Manhattan, Mission, Pocahontas, and de la Salle
• Activity two has students identifying events on a timeline. Given data includes the explorer names/pictures. Students must match who the explorers sailed for and what their navigation/discoveries included.