This lesson plan covers the French Wars of Religion, the Anglo-Spanish Wars, and the Thirty Years' War.
Students read a 3 page article about the wars and use it to complete a 2 page chart. For each conflict, the chart asks questions in 4 main categories: Who Participated, Main Events, How it Ended, Effects of the War.
The article specifically covers the following topics:
French Wars of Religion
1. Catherine de Medicis's role in the conflict
2. Beginning of the war
3. St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre
4. Henry IV and the Edict of Nantes
1. Philip II and Elizabeth I's roles
2. English antagonism of Spain
3. Spanish Armada's failed invasion
4. Effects of the Armada's defeat
Thirty Years' War
1. Political situation in the Holy Roman Empire
2. Treaty of Augsburg
3. Beginning of war.
4. International conflict
5. Effects of the war
6. Treaty of Westphalia
An 11-slide powerpoint is included for the teacher to use to discuss the main issues of the article afterwards.
3 page article, 2 page chart, 11 slide powerpoint