Thank you for your interest in this product!
This product was designed for use as a Math center. It lends itself well to independent small group work, as it requires little to no teacher instruction. Be sure to shuffle the task cards, as they are written in order.
Students must sort all 40 task cards by determining the value of each given expression. All expressions are evaluated using substitution, where a = 3, b = -2 and c = 1 and will have a value of 5, 0 or -5. Expressions use all four integer operations, exponents or fractions, and a clear understanding of the order of operations is required.
This resource becomes a simple diagnostic tool to assess if your students understand the concept of evaluating expressions using substitution, as well as correctly applying the order of operations. Because of the complexity of the expressions, students must show their work to determine the value of each expression.
Included in this download:
- 40 task cards with bright coloured backgrounds
- 40 task cards in black and white (the same expressions as the coloured version)
- Card sort title cards (VALUE OF 5, VALUE OF 0 and VALUE OF -5)
- Value of the variables reminder card (a = 3, b = -2, c = 1)
- Recording sheet for students to show their work
- Answer key