Eve Bunting is a beloved children's author who has written over 200 books. This unit uses a selection of her well-written books to cover important common core skills for grades 3-5. Students will fall in love with Bunting's characters and story plots as they explore how the books share common themes.
The unit is broken up into 4 sections that cover 4 different reoccurring themes in Bunting books:
"A Look At American History"
Students will explore how these 4 themes play a role in Eve Bunting's books and how the books within each theme are similar and different.
While exploring these themes, students will also learn the following concepts:
1) Compare and Contrast
3) Story elements
4) Character analysis
5) Small group discussion skills
6) Making connections
7) Opinion writing
8) Cause and Effect
9) Connecting Fiction to Non-fiction
Students will be participating in a variety of whole class, partner, small group, and individual activities where they will complete activities such as:
1) Creating Word Clouds
2) Reader's Theater
3) Written journal responses
4) Book station centers
5) Creating group posters
6) Craft activities
7) Small group discussions
In all, you will find the following in this unit:
1) 16 detailed lesson plans with the student objective, materials needed, CCSS for grades 3-5, teacher preparation directions, and lesson details
2) Over 50 pages of students activity sheets to go along with each lesson
3) Detailed teacher directions for assembling activities, centers, and crafts
4) 89 anchor slides to assist in daily lessons (Anchor slides are provided in SMARTBoard, PowerPoint, PDF, and PNG image files)
5) A 38-piece bulletin board set to go along with daily lessons
6) A "Meet the Author" article
7) A reader's theater script with an excerpt from one Eve Bunting book for fluency practice
8) Several craft projects
9) Learning folder materials for exploring one of the book themes
And MUCH More!
Please take a peak at the sample to see an extensive over-view of the unit!
Other author studies available in my store:
Chris Van Allsburg