Students are planning a Valentine’s Day party and will be required to learn about and use a variety of skills within the unit from using a calendar, researching on the internet, planning and managing a budget, writing checks, comparison shopping, reading recipes, creating invitations, addressing envelopes and public speaking with visual aids.
I use this unit as a self-directed unit with my high school SPED students to talk about event planning. It is a 5th grade reading level and could easily be used for an upper elementary or middle school regular classroom. I have included in the lesson plans some extra ideas of activities you could use to make this more teacher-led rather than self-paced.
How this unit is broken down:
This unit is broken down into 9 “Steps.” Each step can take anywhere from one class period to a week depending on what the step is and how in-depth the teacher wants to take it.
1. Pick a time, date and place to have the party.
2. Pick a theme for the party.
3. Decide on a budget for the party.
4. Shop for decorations for the party.
5. Find recipes for the party food.
6. Make a list of guests you want to invite.
7. Make invitations for party guests and mail them.
8. Decide what activities you want to do at the party.
9. Finally, let the fun begin! (Final presentations and celebration day)