This product includes several activities for the book Everybody Cooks Rice by Norah Dooley. This book is great for the culturally responsive classroom! It takes a journey through a very diverse neighborhood and takes a look at culture through food. It incorporates lots of thinking maps and integrates several social studies skills.
- Before Reading Questions: Activating prior knowledge and setting purpose for reading
- Bubble Map: Character traits of Carrie
- Vocabulary: 6 vocabulary words from the book with definitions. Students are directed to use each word in a sentence.
- Creating Maps Lesson (Teacher Directions Included):
- Students will make a flow map of all of the places Carrie visits in the book.
- Students will use a world map (provided) to label the locations of each country mentioned in the book.
- Students will create a map of Carrie's neighborhood using the details from the text.
- B.M.E Flip Books and Summary: Students will make Beginning, Middle, End books about the story and then use these to write a paragraph summary. Book template and writing template provided.
- Paper Bag Book: A Cultural Cookbook & Journey Through 7 Countries. Includes all of the recipes from the book! See preview pictures above! Students LOVE this part and it is a fun way to bring culture into the classroom while wrapping up the unit!