This is a lesson that teaches students how to use specific evidence in their writing, organize their thoughts and connect themes throughout a coherent essay. It is Common Core aligned for both ELA and science literacy and writing.
In the lesson students code example texts, then write texts of their own. This is something that can be used many times with all sorts of topics, and you will see long-term improvement. After teaching the lesson, the writing organizer is perfect to use as an end of unit assessment, a research project essay, or for lower stakes writing.
I use this in my class of English Langauge Learners, and I have seen it enhance the quality of their ability to write a well-connected and thoughtful essay. This also means that it is friendly with lower language levels, but also applicable to higher level writing. The examples I have included are geared towards science writing, but it is applicable with any writing prompt that involves evidence.
The zip file includes:
- Common Core Standards met in the lesson
- Full lesson plan
- Full lesson powerpoint with notes, adjustable to topic
- Class starter activity
- Evidence-based writing organizer
- 2 example writing prompts that I have used(Earth Science based)
- Extension and differentiation activities/materials
- Answer keys
- Sentence starters for ELLs