Are you looking for a fun way to review evolution vocabulary in your biology class? This is a vocabulary review game based off of the board game taboo.
The unit's vocabulary words are found in bold at the top of the card. The point of the game is to describe the word on your card without using the five "taboo" words listed on the card. If a student can describe a term without using the most obvious key words, it means that they have a real understanding of the vocabulary.
Part of the activity is having the kids create the rest of the cards themselves. This is KEY for their learning! Each student is responsible for creating a few cards by reviewing their notes to find five words that would be normally be used to describe the word at the top. These words become the "taboo" words. For example, if the word is "bladder" the taboo words could include urinary, filtration, kidney, ureter, and urine.
When all the cards have been created, the students get into groups of two and I set up a tournament where each team plays against each other. My students always LOVE this game and become familiar with the vocabulary while having a lot of fun!
PLEASE NOTE: This product contains ONLY the vocabulary words on the cards - NOT the taboo words. The creation of the taboo words is part of the activity!
This product includes:
- Teacher Guide
- 60 Taboo cards with evolution vocabulary words (.pdf format; non-editable)
- 15 blank Taboo cards that can be filled in by hand with additional vocabulary (.pdf; non-editable)
- Round robin tournament setup options for as many as 15 teams and as few as 6 teams (.pdf; non-editable)
- Tournament Station Labels (.pdf; non-editable)
- Introduction to Taboo slides (.ppt; semi-editable)
Interested in other engaging products? Check out:
- Diversity of Living Things Vocabulary Chain
- Evolution Vocabulary Chain
- Chemical Element Bingo
- Chemical Element Podcast Project
- What Darwin Never Knew Movie Guide
- Becoming Human (Part 1 – First Steps) Movie Guide
- Becoming Human (Part 2 – Birth of Humanity) Movie Guide
- Becoming Human (Part 3 – Last Human Standing) Movie Guide
- Math Mexican Train
- Quadratics Question Trail
- Editable Jeopardy