This small unit is a great companion to the picture book Exclamation Mark by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld. The book follows an exclamation mark as he discovers his uniqueness is actually what makes him so special and wonderful!
I love this book for the beginning of the year when we come back to school, or anytime when your students need a little reminder that everyone is special.
Even better? This book also teaches about the purpose of the exclamation mark as punctuation, gives perfect practice for reading with expression, and showcases brilliant wordplay and puns.
This unit includes:
- an easy craftivity of a personalized exclamation mark
- four versions of a writing prompt (primary to intermediate!)
- Punctuation Mark flipbook (perfect for interactive notebooks!)
- Sentence Types flipbook (2 vocabulary types included- for question, statement, etc. or for interrogative, explanatory, etc.)
- Word Play page breaking down two puns in the book
When this mini-unit is finished, you will have a great display in your classroom or hallway showcasing your students' unique personalities- and some great content work, too, all from this one, simple picture book with a fantastic message.
As a reading specialist, I used parts of this unit with K-6! For using the whole product, grades 1-3 are probably best.
I hope you love it!!! (with lots of exclamation marks!)