Regular education teachers, special education teachers, SLPs, or other support professionals could all benefit from using these worksheets with their students.
Now, I admit that I personally tend to focus on working on targeted and specific goals with my high school students. Problem solving, cognitive flexiblity, planning, executive functioning, interpreting perspectives - everything! I target specific goals in isolation a LOT, as we all do.... , it comes to a point where my students (particularly my older students who are becoming more aware and involved in therapy) struggle to see why we are working on such specific skills. "But.. why are we working on identifying multiple interpretations!?"
I often ask my older students which resources and tasks they find the most beneficial. They often tell me they enjoy the 'real life' scenarios and 'real life' tasks as they feel they can understand how the skills they are practicing will come in handy in their "real world". They have said to me on several occasions that doing this gives them the confidence to start transferring their skills over. This is exactly where this resource idea came from!
This resource provides one 'real life' scenario worksheet booklet where students will need to generalise and COMBINE a variation of social skills, problem solving skills AND executive functioning skills in order to successfully complete the "mission".
Students will see first hand how all of their skills combine together in real life, every day scenarios, and will have an opportunity to see how they all fall into place. Yes, THIS is why we are working on time management! THIS is why we are working on cognitive flexibility!
This booklet specifically focuses on a common 'real life' scenario:
Worksheets in this resource target the following three areas:
- Calculating Costs
- Time Management
- Self Reflection
Social Skills and Problem Solving Skills:
- Making Multiple Interpretations
- Cognitive Flexibility
- Making Predictions
- Interpreting Perspectives of Others
- Problem Solving Scenarios
*These task cards can be used for an individual, a small group or a class*!
- Use these worksheets as discussion points!
- Use these worksheets as writing tasks. There are various “sections” through this
resource. You could target (and expand on) each worksheet a day!
Small group and/or classroom ideas:
- Put the worksheets up in different parts of the room (or outside!) and have students walk around with the room with their answer sheets and clip boards.
- Have students get into pairs and go on a walk around the room and "walk and talk" about their answers and thoughts together.
- Use a worksheet or two each morning as part of a guided class discussion.
- Hand out the whole booklet to each student and use as a guided project for students to complete at their own pace, over a certain amount of time!
If you purchase this resource and enjoy it, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org - I plan on making more of these, and would just LOVE your opinions as to what sort of skills you'd like me to look at in more depth, etc.
If you loved this, check out the Hosting a BBQ/Cookout Workbook!
More products like this:
Follow my store to get notifications for new products, sales and freebies!