Do you want to give your students the freedom to select their own topics for research and writing, but still support the whole class through the writing process? This nonfiction/informational writing unit gets your students writing their own expert books on self-selected topics of interest!
This common core aligned resource is designed for a 4th-6th grade writing workshop style literacy block and guides students through planning, researching, drafting, and revising their work. Pages for the teacher include helpful tips on implementation, too!
Use the entire packet page by page or differentiate by having pages available for student use as needed!
Included in this resource...
- Unit overview with suggested sequence and pacing
- Book list with suggested mentor text titles (provided as a starting point)
- 5 rubrics for the following types of nonfiction: narrative nonfiction, biography, straightforward informational text, reference guide, Q&A
- 2 pages for analyzing mentor texts
- Interest inventory page
- 2 brainstorming/planning pages
- 3 options for note-taking pages
- Planning the focus/audience page
- Outline page
- 2 pages to help students write introductions
- Peer conferencing page
- 2 revising pages focused on transitions
- 1 revising page focused on elaboration
- 1 revising page focused on word choice
- 1 editing page focused on conventions
- 1 page on formatting a works cited page
- 1 page on planning where text features should go