Explorers to Canada: Choice Board/Tic-Tac-Toe Activities” is a collection of 9 activities shown on a “choice board” designed in a tic-tac-toe format. How the classroom teacher decides to use the choice board is up to him or her; students could be assigned to complete 3 in any direction, or even all 9 over the course of the unit. (The activities can also be used without the Choice Board.)
I have generally followed Robert Marzano’s Instructional Strategies in creating the activities. The activities are:
1. Compare and contrast two explorers (students choose or are assigned two explorers to compare and contrast);
2. Summarizing a one-page text “How the Vikings Came to Canada”;
3. Writing about the challenges explorers faced over different time periods and in different parts of Canada;
4. Creating a webquest that other students can complete;
5. Creating a storyboard and short scene description for a scene from Canadian exploration history of the student’s choosing;
6. Creating an imaginary interview with an explorer (the students are given the choice of one explorer from a group of four - John Cabot, James Cook, Sieur de La Salle, or Henry Hudson) and explaining why they are interested in discovering the answers to their questions;
7. Designing their own exploration project (not necessarily to be completed) with whatever elements they would like to incorporate and in whatever style they wish to present it;
8. First Nations, First Contact - Students write about how life changed for the Aboriginal peoples just after European contact and how it is different now; and
9. Making questions for answers provided for a short text about Vinland and the Viking settlement at L’Anse aux Meadows, NL.
Flexibility is built into this product so that you the teacher can use its components as it best suits the needs of you and your class! The activities would work well as part of an interactive notebook. An answer key is included for the 2 activities that require one.
Please check out my store for other Canadian Exploration products. This item is part of my Explorers Mega Bundle which can be seen here:
Explorers Mega Bundle of 7 Products
It is also part of a smaller bundle of 3 Explorers to Canada resources which can be viewed here:
Bundle 2 of 3 Items