Click around this Google Maps webquest to explore locations that showcase igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks! This virtual field trip activity provides you with:
- Student response sheet (PDF, Word, or Google Doc)- Print it or distribute digitally. 11 links to 360 degree views of rock formations throughout the world are embedded into this sheet.
- A website that contains all 11 links (optional). If you can't distribute the worksheet to students digitally, print the worksheet and direct students to a short URL (withheld from this description, included in product). From there, students can click each link that the worksheet directs them to.
- PowerPoint for teacher presentation- After students explore the links on their sheet, review the exact locations visited with this PowerPoint that contains discussion points for each rock site.
- Link to a Google Docs version for you to copy
- Answer key (The answers are also present in the teacher PowerPoint).
Each link uses Google Maps street view to drop students into a 360 degree view of a rock formation. Some of the sites are: Antelope Canyon, AZ, Seine Cliffs, France, Geiranger fjord, Norway, Canary Islands, Mauna Loa, Hawaii, and more.
Example links from this activity:
The response sheet gives students a chart with the three rock types and characteristics of each. It also gives students a column to record their observations and a column to record what rock type they think is being observed.
Google Maps works through ordinary internet browsers, so no software installation is necessary.