This project marries ELA and Social Studies through two research based writing projects.
First, students individually research an explorer then write a persuasive letter from the point of view of the explorer. The letter is written to the sponsor of the voyage, and it must outline the reasons why the sponsor should pay for the explorer's journey. As a fun twist, I have included directions for aging paper to make the letters look authentic.
For the second part of the project, students team up to do further research on an explorer. After learning about the effects that the explorer had, students choose a focus for an informational news article about the explorer. The team of students will work collaboratively to write a newspaper article.
All in all, my students take four to five weeks to complete both of the projects.
Included in this product are:
1. a project timeline for student organization
2. planning and research pages for the persuasive letter and the news article
3. drafting paper for each task, including "helpful hints" in the margin of the persuasive letter framework
4. grading rubrics for each task
5. helpful websites for research
6. a list of mini-lessons to teach throughout the project
7. directions for how to age paper
Please send me a message if you have any questions about this product. If you like the product, please leave a rating below.
Thank you! Happy Exploring!