The problems and activities within this document are designed to assist students in achieving the following standards: HSF.LE.A.1 and HSF.BF.B.3 as well as the standards for mathematics practice. They are also designed to help the teacher assess the students’ abilities when it comes to working with the ideas within the standards.
This document contains the following:
- guided notes on parent functions, their graphs, domains, and ranges
- homework and solutions for parent functions lesson
- an activity for exploring transformations of functions (what causes them to reflect, translate, stretch, etc)
- practice problems, homework problems, and solutions for transformations of the parent function graphs
- 4 applets that students can use to discover the effects changing certain values has on the graph of parent functions (these applets were created in excel & involve sliders so that they can be used efficiently to visualize the concepts; one focuses on quadratics, one focuses on absolute value, one that focuses on cubic functions, and one focuses on the sine function)
*Please note that unfortunately the applets do not work on Apple devices, but only work on PCs. : (
*Of course, you can rearrange the problems in this document for use as class work, homework, quizzes, tests, etc. as you wish!
About my Products:
While the PARCC assesses many of the mathematical practice standards, I aim to create many problems and activities that require students to apply the skills outlined in the performance level descriptors. I believe that the more students are exposed to such types of work, the more likely they are to develop a conceptual understanding of the concepts & of their own learning, succeed on the PARCC, and hence the more likely they are to be prepared for success in college and/or their future careers. If you happen to have any questions or concerns regarding anything your purchase (or download for free), please do not hesitate to contact me! Have a wonderful school year! :)
*Just Added at NO Additional Cost!: Cubic Function Applet