This Exploring Our Local Environment unit begins with a scavenger hunt where students will get to explore their local environment. This scavenger hunt leads into a variety of other activities where students will get the opportunity to explore deeper into local living things, food chains, and the ecosystem. After these whole class activities, students will get to individually explore a topic of their choosing relating to their local environment by completing an independent inquiry project. This unit is meant to get students thinking, exploring, and getting to know their local natural environments in a more in depth way.
***This unit meets many of the curricular competencies of the grade 3 new Science BC Curriculum.
1. Exploring our local environment scavenger hunt directions
2. 12 scavenger hunt task cards
3. Interactive notebook scavenger hunt answer page
4. A close up of… microscope interactive notebook activity
5. An animal from our local environment riddles.
6. Living things in my local environment flower interactive notebook page
7. A food chain in my local environment graphic organizer.
8. What are some risks to our local environment partner activity.
9. What is special about our local environment flap book.
10. Our local environment student inquiry project directions.
11. Presentation ideas
12. Class list page
13. Calendar and calendar directions
14. My inquiry question graphic organizer
15. The pitch directions
16. The pitch graphic organizer
17. Inquiry project peer feedback form
18. Facts and notes graphic organizer
19. Inquiry project assessment directions
20. Formative assessment mid project student/teacher form. (Blank 21. version and ‘suggested criteria version).
22. Formative assessment end of project student/teacher form.