Start your students' year of science investigation with a collection of seashells in your science center. Seashells are endlessly interesting, can be observed and researched in many ways, and are inexpensive to acquire. Your students will enjoy open ended investigations in which they sort, weigh, measure, observe, draw, compare, predict, and communicate with peers. They will be using math, science, and language skills simultaneously as they engage in a variety of fun and engaging activities.
This product includes:
- 24 task cards to guide student exploration
- recording sheet options for task cards
- recording sheets for observation and comparison
- recording sheets to activate prior knowledge and note new learning
- instructions for use
- suggested items to augment your students' exploration in the science center
- suggested books to borrow or buy to enhance student learning
I always kick off the year with this center because even the most nervous new student, perhaps with no experience working in an open ended center, feels confident and capable with tasked with investigating seashells. It gets a year of science off on a positive note for everyone. Every year, the science center is the favorite in our classroom.
I hope your students enjoy these activities as much as mine do.