In this activity, students will practice and master exponent rules.
• Product Rules
• Quotient Rules
• Power Rules
• Negative Exponents
• Zero Rules
This activity is easily differentiated, can be used at any part of your instruction in the unit, and can be scaled to small and large learning periods.
The sample problems listed below can be used after each rule has been introduced, or can be used as a summary activity by printing the cards and asking groups to recreate various problems.
The essence of the activity is for students to show mastery of understanding of exponent rules by creating equivalent expressions using the exponent cards provided.
The pdf includes:
• 8 x-variable cards with exponents 1-8
• 8 y-variable cards with exponents 1-8
• 8 z-variable cards with exponents 1-8
• Two parentheses cards
• 6 “power to a power” cards (powers 2-7)
• 4 negative exponent cards (exponents -2,-3,-4,-5)
• 1 large fraction bar
• 36 differentiated exponent problems
• Sample activities or ways to use the set of cards
See the preview images for examples of the cards listed above.
Key Words: Exponents, exponent rules, powers, bases, negative exponents, simplifying, simplify, exponents with variables, MathCoachNat, card sort, activity, group work, differentiated, differentiation, hands-on, equivalent
If you leave feedback or a review, email me! I will send you a free activity of your choice! MathCoachNat@gmail.com