Exponential Equations (not requiring logarithms) Scavenger Hunt Activity
This activity is an excellent way to mix rigor and fun in algebra! Students will enjoy practicing their skills on solving exponential equations as they interact with their peers.
► What's Included?
- Sixteen (16) scavenger hunt activity cards
- Answer Sheet
- Premade workspace for students
- Answer Key
► What skills are covered?
Students will solve exponential equations that don't require the use of logarithms. That is, they will only need the rules of exponents to create the same bases before setting the exponents equal to each other.
► How to Play?
1) Print and scatter the cards around the classroom. You may also use the hallway, cafeteria, gym, or anywhere outside the building as long as the environment is conducive for learning.
2) Distribute the answer sheets. You may allow the students to work individually, in pairs, or in small groups. If needed, you may also ask the students to show their solutions on a separate sheet of paper.
3) Start the activity by assigning them their starting problems or have them pick where they want to begin.
4) Before answering each problem, ask them to record the card number that they are currently working on. It is located on the upper right corner of each card.
5) Once they finish working on the problem, they will look for the next card that contains their answer. The correct answers will lead them to the next cards to work on and will eventually bring them back to the first problem that they started with at the beginning.
6) Use the answer key provided to check their answers.
We hope that you and your students enjoy this scavenger hunt activity. Our goal is to create quality math resources that will be helpful in your class instruction. If you found any errors/typos or have any questions about this product, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Mike and Kathy
© 2016 ChiliMath - Algebra and More. The purchase of this product entitles the buyer a limited individual license and is non-transferable. This product is intended to be used by one teacher only. If you would like to share this math resource with your colleagues, you may revisit our TpT store and purchase additional licenses at a discounted price. This product may be printed or photocopied but may not be sold, transmitted, or put on the internet/intranet without a written permission from the authors. Thank you for respecting our work!