Engage students in Algebra 1 with this activity and inquiry based unit. Students will discover and apply exponential functions in real world contexts. The lessons included are standards-based, rigorous, and not boring!
*Many included resources now have digital versions for Google Classroom, as noted below with an asterisk!
- Real World Percents Card Sort* (Review writing equations with percentages.)
- Exponential Functions Intro Activity* (Hook students!)
- Distinguishing Linear and Exponential Functions* (Build and extend their knowledge.)
- Exponential Functions Multiple Representations* (Challenge students to think!)
- Exponential Functions Graphing Practice (Reinforce graph features.)
- Exponential Functions Real World Task (Apply exponential understanding.)
- Exponential Review Study Guide (Check for understanding.)
- Exponential Functions Test - paper and digital format* (Assess the unit.)
How is this different from a typical unit?
This unit is designed to build conceptual understanding of exponential functions and make the learning stick. You will find activities and tasks that make students think. Students learn the concepts through problem solving and doing math. Options for differentiation are included as well. Several of the activities are included with printable and Google Slides versions.
This unit will last about 7-10 days. Click the preview for more details on each resource.
Note: This unit does go deep into compound interest, but does touch on the basic concept. (Many Algebra 1 standards do not require advanced work with compound interest. Check your area to be sure!)