This writing unit focuses on explanatory and informative (expository) writing and is aligned with the Common Core State Standards. It has also been recently updated to include Google Drive / Google Classroom editable handouts and MLA 8 style handouts.
This IS included in my mega bundle: ALL of my WRITING RESOURCES GROWING BUNDLE.
Students will learn to write informative/explanatory essays and research papers by following the step-by-step process. The zipped file includes:
• 40-slide Powerpoint Presentation of student visual aids for step-by-step process
• 30 editable handouts (includes rubrics) on Google Drive that can be shared electronically with your students.
• 80-page Guided Process with Instructions, Rubrics, Exemplar Texts, Links to Prompts
• Road trip/driving theme that teens can relate to
Covers general expository (informational, explanatory, definition, informative, how-to, process) essays, cause and effect, and compare and contrast.
If you liked my Common Core Argumentative Writing Bundle,
you will love this! It contains additional worksheets, help with transitions, how to cite your sources using MLA format, a Powerpoint presentation file, and more. A complete example essay is included with links to additional exemplar texts and writing prompts.
*ALSO, I included rubrics that both INCLUDE the Common Core State Standards and those that do NOT have the standards listed for teachers who use other standards.
You might like these activities and resources:
• Compare and Contrast Nonfiction Texts
• Informative/Explanatory Writing: Summarizing a Text
• Close Reading Questions: Nonfiction Article Review Handouts
Common Core Graphic Organizers:
• Common Core Bundle for Grades 6, 7, 8
• Common Core Bundle for Grades 9-12
• Common Core Standards Reading Literature & Nonfiction/Informational Graphic Organizers Bundle for Grades 6-12
Find additional writing resources by clicking here.
Find additional reading resources by clicking here.
Created and copyrighted by © Tracee Orman, including all graphics, text, and analogies used in writing process. All Rights Reserved.
The Common Core Standards were developed and written by the NGA. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. To view the standards online, go to: www.corestandards.org