Help boost student writing confidence and mastery with Set 3 of daily STAAR writing warm ups. Students revise and edit sample expository texts while they practice key writing skills.
You can use these in any order and to support whatever writing mode you are working on.
Each day addresses a different skill.
• sentence structure
• word choice
Expository writing modes include:
This resource takes students through six weeks of expository writing skills where they have the opportunity to practice specific writing standards.
The resource includes:
• 30 student warm up activities
• week 1 (description): present effective introduction, revise sentence structure (complex sentence), identify inappropriate details, develop main idea, punctuation
• week 2 (cause/effect): create a thesis, internal cohesion (transitions), use of conjunctive adverbs, develop conclusion, proofread for spelling, grammar, punctuation
• week 3 (procedural): logical development of ideas, sentence variety analysis, precise word choice, external coherence (transitions), misplaced modifiers
• week 4 (compare/contrast): choosing an organizational strategy, sentence variety, figurative language, indefinite pronouns, parenthesis use
• week 5 (persuasive): supporting argument with facts, sentence structure, verb variety, internal coherence (transitions), using a colon
• week 6 (literary response): incorporating textual evidence, internal coherence, relative pronouns, eliminating unnecessary detail, punctuation
• suggested answer key - please note that student answers will vary. The answer key provides you an idea of how your students might address the task.
This is a zipped file that includes four files:
• teacher guide with chart of skills for each day and week and a student response form you can use for assessments
• 30 student warm ups
• suggested answer key
• student warm ups alternated with answer key - so you can project the warm up and then a suggested response (I tried to think of everything!!)
You can project or print. Perfect for daily warm up, review, writing centers, or mini lesson. Students can work independently or with a partner.
Please see the preview for all the goodies. If you have any questions, please let me know in the Q&A section below. I will get right back to you!
This product works well with the other daily warm ups! Set 1: STAAR Writing Warm Ups
and Set 2: STAAR Daily Writing Warm Ups
I'd love to have you follow my store and be the first to learn about new products, freebies, and sales. Just click on the green star by my store name.
I read and respond to all feedback! I truly appreciate you taking time to leave it!
Happiness always ♥