This unit helps you teach students expository writing on DINOSAURS (A high interest topic if ever.) in a fun and easy way WITHOUT any possible way for students to COPY sentences word for word which is ALWAYS a struggle.
Here the data is presented such that copying verbatim is IMPOSSIBLE. (You know that overcoming copying / plagiarism is a real struggle, but *NOT* with this unit.)
LIST of included items:
1. Included are TWO bonus units, A) a set of worksheets on topic sentences in paragraphs, a quick way to teach the importance of paragraph sentences matching the TOPIC SENTENCE. (they have to find and remove the sentence that doesn't belong)
Second are two lessons teaching when to use A versus An in a sentence. (To avoid students writing 'A animal' or 'A herbivore'.)
Dinosaur Writing Unit Includes:
1) Writing pages (with wide primary lined pages) with the topic sentences already WRITTEN in bold for EASY student understanding. Each essay is two sided for a three standard paragraphs.
2) The TOPIC SENTENCE is pre-written (see the preview to see the second, third, paragraphs.)
3) Facts sheets on the most popular dinosaurs (Apatosaurus, T-Rex, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, Pachycephalosaurus, Corythosaurus, Pteranodon, and now Kronosaurus! (a 30 foot alligator like swimming reptilian creature)
Each fact sheet information is grouped by paragraph. (see the preview and this will be immediately apparent)
Also each has:
a) A list box of "Sentence starters" "Subjects/Naming Parts". (e.g. They.. Scientists..., It..., This Dinosaur...)
b) A list box of "action" words/verbs that don't sound like verbs (e.g. had, was, were, had, grew, could) to chose from to create a complete sentence.
4) Full page illustrations of each for coloring. An instant reward and powerful motivator for students to complete their writing. (Students gasp in awe and longing every year I've shown them the illustrations they get to color after writing.)
5) A final illustration for coloring that makes the cover of the report.
6) A short list of tips & tricks to save you time and trouble.
Nearly every students is eager to complete all EIGHT dinosaur essays. (and coloring of course).
This makes for an easy, fun and very impressive completed student work.
They make an "open house worthy" project for their desk.
Copyright 2010 Scott A. Beatty - The written portion is copyrighted with all rights reserved. You may reprint this unit freely for your personal / classroom use. You may also share this with your grade level team at your school site. This work may not be, except as noted above, reprinted or posted elsewhere on the Internet for free or for sale without the written consent of the author ---------------------------------
Key words (for search engines):
dinosaur writing unit, topic sentence unit, paragraph skills, primary expository writing, copy proof writing unit, plagiarism proof writing, stop students copying sentences, dinosaur nonfiction writing unit, dinosaur writing unit with coloring pages, primary dinosaur units. turn facts into complete sentences, open house writing project