Expository Writing - Teach expository writing in this comprehensive two week Expository Writing Unit. Perfect for an informative or explanatory essay unit, or an expository writing unit.
This incredible essay unit contains:
• Two weeks of detailed expository essay lesson plans following the Reader’s Writer’s Workshop Format with complete mini-lessons.
• Student writing packet that guides students through each step in the expository writing process: collecting/brainstorming, developing a topic, drafting each part of the essay, revision, editing and presenting the essay to the class.
• A sample student writing packet that has been completed with sample writing to show students as examples.
• A two week unit calendar with tips and notes.
• A common core expository essay rubric.
The format emphasizes student independence and student ownership of writing.
Each lesson uses the Reader’s Writer’s Workshop format with Minilessons followed by Independent Writing Time and Closing / Sharing. Each Independent Writing Time section contains instructions for students as well as a conferring focus and informal assessment focus for the teacher.
Each lesson contains an IF / THEN chart for students to use to direct independent writing time. The unit is designed so students can become self-directed!
This is a complete teaching resource for an expository essay writing unit! It can also be adapted for other types of student writing!
Background on this unit: I contracted with Washington State OSPI to score the 10th Grade State Expository Writing Assessment one year. The following year I was on the prompt writing committee and the next year I was on the team that developed training materials used to score the 10th Grade State Expository Writing Assessment. I developed this unit to use in my own classroom based upon my experience assessing literally thousands of expository essays!
Please contact me with questions and visit my store for additional teaching materials:
Jacque Decker’s Store
Check out some of my other resources by clicking the links below:
Close Reading Journal with Mini-Lessons on Literary Elements
Introduction for To Kill a Mockingbird- The Rosewood Massacre Discussion
To Kill a Mockingbird Complete Reading and Teaching Guide
To Kill a Mockingbird Activity Bundle – 60 Pages!
Romeo and Juliet Reading Guide Bundle!
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page. Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits you can use to lower the cost of your future purchases. Thank you!
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and products:
• Look for the green star next to my profile picture and click it to become a follower. You’ll receive updates when I post products, freebies and discounts.
Created By: Jacque Decker