Help MS/HS students unpack Common Core Standards W1d and 2e to "establish and maintain a formal style". Applicable to any subject requiring informative/explanatory writing and an excellent tool for cross-curricular collaboration. See the thumbnails and the preview for samples.
26-page packet includes many handouts. Pick and choose what you need for your objectives:
* Guide with 9 tips from experts, explained with student-friendly examples. Topics include wordiness, tone, formal point of view, active voice, prepositions, generalizations, word choice, space for a personal goal for improvement, and a blank lined sheet for your own additional tips. The tips are grouped into short segments on separate pages for mini-lessons. (5 pages)
* Separate 1-page Quick Guide summarizes the 9 tips briefly, providing an overview--see the thumbnail.
* Practice sentences to correct, applying the tips. Answer Key included.
* Punctuation Guide to using advanced marks: colon, semi-colon, brackets, dash, ellipsis and more.
* 1-page introduction to six common Latin terms to help students use them correctly: circa, e.g., etc., i.e., sic, vs.
* 2 revising and editing checklists for self/peer/teacher use based on the traits of effective writing plus elements of formal style. Pick the one you like.
* Teacher suggestions for use
As a bonus, the following supplementary handouts have been included from my other products for informative/explanatory writing.
* Transitions list
* Avoiding plagiarism handout
* Proofreading marks handout (12 basic symbols)
* MLA in-text citations and works cited guides (1 page each)
Many possible uses for class sets for mini-lessons for essays/research reports; as reference handouts for students to keep in their notebooks; and/or for mini-posters for bulletin boards.
Check out these other structured writing guides!
Biography Research Report MS/HS Complete Guide
Paragraphs as a Learning Tool for All Subjects
Self-Introduction Essay: Complete 5 Paragraph Guide