- Help students learn critical skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking this October with this bundle of resources. This bundle includes four resources that perfectly pair together AND help students learn a ton of skills in just 20 days! The best part? It’s all ready for your classroom!$25.96$21.49Save $4.47
- Save BIG with this set of 12 writing units! Meet every single writing standard as students progress through 12 engaging and detailed units. This writing unit bundle includes units for Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, Memoir, Biography, Speech, Opinion, Poetry, Letter, Myth, and Fabl$113.38$99.99Save $13.39
- A great writing curriculum allows students to write and learn in a variety of ways. That’s why this Writing Essentials Bundle combines critical writing units, daily writing prompts, targeted writing mini-lessons, and creative writing activities. You’ll find ready-to-teach lessons that will not only$58.91$51.99Save $6.92
- Product Description
Expository / Informative Writing: In this 10-day, Common Core - aligned Expository Writing Unit, students will demonstrate a deep understanding of the features, critical elements, and purpose of expository or informative writing. During the unit, students will write an expository news story about a historic event. Through instruction on the news story structure and investigations of sample news stories, students will understand the critical components of a news story so that they can write their own informational news article.
After learning about expository writing and the news story structure, students will select a research topic, plan their research, develop appropriate research questions, actively research a historic event, gather their research on a grid and research cards, complete citation tracking worksheets, plan their news story, develop a news story frame, write a first draft, revise their writing with mini-lessons on including strong verbs and transition words, complete a revision checklist, edit their news story, and participate in peer conferences about their expository writing pieces.
This unit lends itself perfectly to fun and engaging publishing ideas. Students’ completed news stories could be “performed” in a newscast from the historical period. Students can even dress in costumes or prepare visuals to accompany their “breaking news.” Or, students could compile all their news stories into a class newspaper. Or, students could produce a radio show and record their news stories on podcasts. The potential for fun is limitless!
Great news! This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
FYI: Research and news story writing topics for the Revolutionary War are included in this resource. However, the unit can be used with any historic time period or event.
Common Core State Standards:
- W.2, W.4, W.5, W.6, W.7, W.8, W.9, W.10
- SL.1, SL.2
- L.1, L.2, L.3, L.6
This detailed Expository Writing Unit includes:
- Detailed Lesson Plans (10)
- Expository Writing Rubric
- Research Topics - The Revolutionary War (optional)
- All Instructional Keys
- Expository Writing Guided Notes
- Writing Assignment
- News Story Elements Guided Notes
- News Story Structure Notes and Sample
- News Story Critical Elements - Sorting Chart
- Model News Story (2)
- Pre-Writing Guide
- Research Gathering Grid
- Research Gathering Cards
- Internet Research Guide
- Internet Citation Tracker
- Print Citation Tracker
- Planning the News Story Pre-Write
- Organizational News Story Frame
- First Draft Guide
- Revision Mini-Lesson - Including Strong Verbs
- Revision Mini-Lesson - Using Transition Words
- Revision Checklist
- Editing Checklist
- Peer Conference Guide
You may also like…
- Close Reading Mini-Unit
- Test Prep Bundle - Answering Multiple Choice Questions, Responding to Short Answer Questions, and Motivational Test Prep
- Narrative Writing Unit
- Memoir Study and Writing Unit
- Reading Comprehension Skills - MEGA BUNDLE! 9 Mini-Units!
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction