Expository and Informational Writing Lessons & Activities: This writing unit will help you teach informational and explanatory writing to your middle and high school students as they examine mentor texts and practice the skills they need to inform and explain.
You will find:
- An editable introductory slide show that introduces expository writing
- An introductory activity using mentor texts and graphic organizers that students use to identify the elements of effective expository writing
- Lessons and activities that take a closer look at specific types of explanatory writing: extended definition, process/how-to, compare and contrast, cause & effect, problem & solution, and risk & benefit. There are a variety of activities so students are not doing the same thing each time.
- Sample student texts for each type of writing, as well as links to online examples.
- Many options for individual and group activities that can be used to build and reinforce the skills needed to write an effective expository piece
- All handouts, graphic organizers and rubrics are completely editable, so you can tweak them to suit your needs
Other Products for Writing
Writer's Workshop Bundle
Transitions Learning Stations
Word Choice Lessons
Reminder Booklets for Reading, Writing & Close Reading
Writing Introductions & Conclusions
Figurative Language Challenges
Variety in Sentence Structure, Length & Openings
Awkward Wording: Help your students write strong sentences
Descriptive Writing: Avoiding Cliches
Connect with me for teaching tips and ideas:
Real Learning in Room 213
Room 213 on Pinterest