Extended Metaphor in Poetry Middle School
- Easel Activity
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Why do we often submit our students to long, dull, (dare I say, torturous) poetry units that they hate? Why not make poetry as fun and exciting as it has the potential to be?This unit does just that! Inside this .pdf file, you will find 10 elements of poetry lesson plans and activities plus a pre anPrice $27.00Original Price $41.49Save $14.49
Extend your students' understanding of metaphors with this no-prep, print & go extended metaphor lesson. With ample examples of extended metaphors and a fun, creative activity, this will be a great addition to your poetry unit. With a fun and engaging Google Slides Presentation, middle school students will learn all about extended metaphors and will even be able to write their own with a creative writing assignment.
This lesson includes a class discussion of Maya Angelou's extended metaphor poem, "Caged Bird."
This lesson can be used in a traditional classroom setting OR as a distance learning activity!
- General Teacher Guidelines and Instructions
- Lesson outline with step-by-step teacher instructions.
- Link to Engaging Google Slides Presentation that will guide you and your students through the lesson and the activities.
- Creative Writing Assignment
- Grading Rubric for Creative Writing Assignment.
- Instructions for accessing Google Slides Presentation
- Instructions for saving Google Slides Presentation as a PowerPoint Presentation.
Lesson Outlined as Follows:
- Extended Metaphor Introduction and Examples
- Discussion on How an Extended Metaphor Affects Poetry
- Introduce Creative Writing Assignment
- Teacher Model/Example
- Independent Practice Creative Writing Assignment
This Lesson is also Included In:
Full FUN Poetry Bundle! - Check out the rest of the unit!!
You Might Also Like:
Freak the Mighty Skills-based Novel Unit
The Witch of Blackbird Pond - Complete Novel Unit
Did you know that TpT gives you credits towards future purchases when you leave feedback? Your feedback is so important to me as I try to provide the best products possible! Please go to your "My Purchases" page (you may need to log in). Next to each purchase, you'll see a "Provide Feedback" button. Simply click on the button and it will take you to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment. Thank you so much for providing valuable feedback!
Connect with Me!
Click on the "Follow Me" button on my store page to see all my latest products and updates!