Ezra Jack Keats: Reader's and Writer's Workshop Unit of Study
Are you ready to try an Author's Study with your students? This reading and writing unit of study, "Ezra Jack Keats: Reader's and Writer's Workshop Author Series," is a wonderful way to integrate the works of a fantastic author into reading and writing! In the reading workshops, your students will learn how to activate schema and make meaningful text-to-text, text-to-self, and text-to-world connections. In the writing workshops, you will teach your students to write small moment stories, just like Ezra Jack Keats! In this pack, you have access to all the materials you need for this Reader's and Writer's Workshop Unit in your first or second grade classroom. This pack will save you tons of time preparing lessons, handouts, and classroom activities.
This complete bundle includes:
1. Letter to parents and caregivers to introduce the unit
2. Background information for how to run Reader's and Writer's Workshops
3. Two-week calendar of the unit
4. 20 total (10 Reading and 10 Writing) detailed daily lesson plans, with all of the components of each mini-lesson provided
5. Anchor charts, handouts, and classroom materials
6. Suggested mentor texts to accompany reading mini-lessons
7. Publishing paper for your students' written work
8. Reading log templates
9. Conferencing sheets
10. Rubric to complete the unit
11. Student reflection sheet for the end of the unit
12. BONUS: Supplemental grammar and phonics activities to highlight two components of Ezra Jack Keats' texts (Contractions and Onomatopoeia)
Introducing the works of Ezra Jack Keats through an author study is easy and organized for you and your students with this pack!
Be sure to check out our other Reading Units of Study:
Unit 1: Constructing Our Reading LivesUnit 2: Flexing Our Reading MusclesUnit 3: Investigating the Minds of CharactersUnit 4: Navigating Through NonfictionUnit 5: Revving Up For Series ReadingUnit 6: Diving Deeper Into Nonfiction
Here are our units of study focused on amazing authors and texts:
Ezra Jack Keats: Reader's and Writer's Workshop Author SeriesNancy Carlson: Reader's and Writer's Workshop Author SeriesThe Polar Express: A Reading and Writing Unit of Study
Here are our mini units of study focused on Targeted Reading Skills:
Fables and Folktales [Central Message and Story Elements] Reading Unit of StudyFairy Tales [Comparing and Contrasting Characters] Reading Unit of StudyLittle Red Riding Hood [Point of View] Reading Unit of StudyMartin Luther King, Jr. [Author's Purpose and Main Ideas] Reading Unit of StudyPolar Animals [Text Features in Nonfiction Texts] Reading Unit of StudyPresidents of America [Main Idea & Key Details] Reading Unit of StudyThe Human Body [Comparing & Contrasting Texts] Reading Unit of Study
Be sure to follow our store!
Just click on the green “Follow” star at the top of this page or our store page to follow our store, which will notify you first when we post new items! All new items are 50% off for the first 48 hours they are posted! You will also receive customized email updates about our store products!