Richard Peck's FAIR WEATHER will have your class rolling on the floor with laughter as they read about a country family's trip to the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893!
When Rosie and her farm family receive invitations to the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago from Aunt Euterpe, the edges of their worlds dissolve. Fancy Aunt Euterpe is in for a shock as her country relatives bring with them challenges to their understanding of their aunt's new culture. What new treasures will spark curiosity, wonder, and awe in the minds of the children? What new inventions are being showcased at the fair? What famous people will they meet? What treasure will they find? What surprise waits at the end? Fair Weather transports the reader into 1893, sharing laughter and family fun.
The Kids Wings Activities for Fair Weather by Richard Peck weave skills, character, and cross-currriculum fun to transform your classroom into a thriving world's fair! They come to you in both PowerPoint and PDF formats for ease and excellence in projection and printing.
The Activities include:
* Get Ready! Get Set! Using Dialectical Journaling to Develop Independence
* Pairing Books
* Illustrating the Text
* Map Study: Where in the World is Chicago?
* Making Changes: Growing Character
* Making Connections: Chapter Questions for Prediction Before Reading and Comprehension After Reading
* Spider Mapping for Locating Main Idea and Supporting Details
* Weathering the Words
* Getting to Know the Characters
* A Flurry of Activity--Multiple Choice Check-up
* Aunt Euterpe’s Letter--Multiple Choice Summary
* In a Manner of Speaking--Recognizing Idiosyncrasies in English, Nonstandard English and Standard English
* Crossword Puzzle: New Things to See!
* Midway Math
* Sights We Saw--Revising and Editing a Letter, 3 pages including Multiple Choice Comprehension
* Ballad of the Chicago Fair--Using Summarizing Skills to Create Lyrics that Tell the Story
* The Midway Plaisance--A Great Logic Puzzle
* YOUR State Exhibit--Create a "State Fair" in your classroom
* Digging Deeper through Research
* Writing Prompts
PLEASE NOTE: Kids Wings materials are written by highly experienced master teachers. We hire professional proof readers who are also master educators. We do our best to be sure each of our literature guides is top quality and error free, and classroom tested, but if you think we can do better, we welcome your input. If you find an error in our materials, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make corrections. After it is corrected, we will invite you to download a newly polished copy and will probably attach a surprise to our reply as a thank-you!
If you like our materials, we would be very grateful if you let us and others know!