FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE ESCAPE ROOM ACTIVITY: Help your students understand figurative language with this highly-engaging interactive escape room / break out activity! Students will have to have an understanding of the following terms to complete the tasks: metaphor, simile, alliteration, personification, onomatopoeia, hyperbole, oxymoron, pun, idiom, and allusion.
HOW IT WORKS
Students work in small groups and move about the classroom to five different stations to complete puzzles and activities related to figurative language
In the first station, students label different examples of figurative language and input those onto the answer sheet to reveal a mystery word.
In the second station, students do a close reading of the poem "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by William Wordsworth and answer multiple-choice questions about figurative language. The answers reveal a code word!
In the third station, students assemble three puzzles which reveal writing topics. Students are required to write a sentence about that topic using one type of figurative language.
In the fourth station, students will properly label examples of figurative language famous quotes made in history. They match up the names of the famous people who said the quote with the type of figurative language to reveal a code word.
The final station has students decode an encryption based on hidden symbols they have to find throughout the game to reveal a quote!
INCLUDED IN YOUR PURCHASE
• Detailed teacher instructions for setting up the room and facilitating the activity
• A classroom door sign to welcome students to the activity
• Signs for each of the five stations
• Student instructions for each of the five stations
• All the materials students need for each station (envelope templates, figurative language cards, puzzle pieces, famous quote cards, poetry close read assignment, encryption assignment)
• A student answer booklet where the group can record the codes and keys they find.
• A teacher answer key you can use to check the work to determine the winner.
• Two reflection assignments to complete after the escape room. One is a reflection on the quote revealed in the final puzzle and the other is a reflection on the escape room activity.
Like This Resource? Click The Link Below To See More Resources By Presto Plans
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE BELL-RINGERS
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE RESOURCE BUNDLE
© Presto Plans
★CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE 10 FREE ENGLISH TEACHER RESOURCES!