When you teach kids about FIRE SAFETY, you’re not just teaching them about how to prevent fires, you’re teaching them how to SAVE LIVES!
I hope every teacher spends a week on this IMPORTANT topic!
I've put together an awesome preview for this product, so check it out!!
FIRE PREVENTION WEEK IS THE 2ND WEEK IN OCTOBER!
My favorite way to introduce FIRE PREVENTION AND SAFETY is with
BRAIN POP, Jr. But, if you don’t have that, you can find lots of informational books, probably right in your library! And, I’m sure you already have tons of information to contribute! It is mostly common sense, so this will be all you need!
So, read some books or watch the Brain Pop, Jr. ….
• HAVE A DISCUSSION USING THE DISCUSSION CARDS AND THE GUIDE INCLUDED IN THIS DOWNLOAD. MAKE A CHART ON CHART PAPER AS YOU DISCUSS EACH TOPIC.
Here are the 8 TOPICS of DISCUSSION:
- Why it's Important
- Why we CRAWL during a fire
- The importance of the Stop, Drop and Roll
- Why we don't just open a door in a burning building.
- Discussion of Matches, Fire Extinguisher, Smoke Detector, Electrical Outlet, Cooking, and the Fire Hydrant
- Why it's Important to have one
- Children will pretend they are a firefighter that has just heard the fire alarm at the fire station. They will use Target Vocabulary to describe what happens next.
- Candles, Matches, Fireworks, Campfires and a Cooking Stove all bring us joy to our lives. These things can also bring us sorrow if someone is careless. Students will tell about the joys and sorrows of each.The point of this is to get them thinking about their roll in Fire Prevention.
• HAVE YOUR STUDENTS FILL IN THE BOOKLET AS or AFTER YOU DISCUSS. I WOULD DO 2 TOPICS PER DAY. (4 DAYS ~ M - Th) Copy the booklet and cut the page in half for two booklets. Staple on the left side. It can be copied double sided.
There are 8 topics to discuss 8 pages in the booklet and the cover.
• ON DAY 5, MAKE THE FIRE HELMET CRAFT AS A FUN CELEBRATION PIECE. It is super fast easy with just 3 pieces. It takes one sentence strip so the kids can actually wear it! Under the badge on the hat, they will put a fire safety tip. I would definitely have sharing time so they can share their tips with their classmates.
• USE THE LANGUAGE ARTS BOOKLET TO INTEGRATE FIRE PREVENTION AND SAFETY INTO YOUR READING STATIONS throughout the week or the following week.
Here's what's included in the LA Integration Booklet: (8 Fire Safety Words are used throughout)
- Match the Fire Safety Word to the Picture (8 Words)
- Students will tell the name of the fire safety picture and then tell how it can help them survive in a fire. (8 sentences)
- Unscramble the Fire Safety Words
- Put the 8 Fire Safety Words in Alphabetical Order
- Find 8 Fire safety words in the word search
OTHER PRODUCT YOU MIGHT LIKE: