This unit contains 13 TEACHER-CREATED ORIGINAL literacy activities to help children learn more about fire safety and to extend a fire safety unit. These activities are great to use as literacy bag inserts, take home activities or
class literacy centers (individual or small group). THE ACTIVITIES INCLUDED IN THIS UNIT:
1. UPPERCASE & LOWER CASE LETTER MATCHING: Match together each uppercase letter with it*s lowercase letter
2. RHYMING ACTIVITY: Match together the rhyming word card pairs
3. SORTING AND GRAPHING: Sort out each of the fire themed pictures, count them and then use the information to complete the graph
4. PATTERNING: Use the fire themed pictures (from the graphing activity) to create patterns (such as AB, ABB, AAB, ABC, ABCD)
5. SHORT VOWEL ACTIVITY: Each fire fighter helmet has a picture on it and the word without it's short vowel letter. Students write in the missing short vowel they hear as they say the name of the picture.
6. FIRE THEME CONSONANT BLEND CARDS: Nine fire themed cards feature consonant blends. Each card has the blend as well as corresponding pictures.
7. FINISH THE WORD: Add a word ending to the blend featured on each of the nine fire trucks to create a new word.
8. ADDITION CARDS: Fire fighter themed
single digit addition practice cards.
9. WHAT DO I DO? STOP, DROP & ROLL: Place the three illustrated stop, drop and roll cards on the mat in the correct order to show what to do if their clothes ever catch on fire.
10. OBJECT COUNTING CARDS : Count the fire theme objects on the cards and match them to their number/number word pair cards
11. VOCABULARY STRIPS: Review fire safety themed words using the the illustrated vocabulary strips. (These can also be used as references for journal writing or sentence writing.
12. FIRE SAFETY INFORMATION: Read the information on what to do in case of a fire
13. FIRE FACTS: Read some interesting facts about fire
14. CREATIVE WRITING: Tell about your fire safety plan at home *