Also included in
- This completely done-for-you writing curriculum includes a year's worth of first-grade writing lessons and activities for teaching opinion writing, informational writing, personal narrative writing, and beginning-of-the-year writing skills in first grade. With this resource, we literally take your h$85.99$119.96Save $33.97
This NO PREP, STEP-BY-STEP informational writing unit includes 8 weeks of totally done-for-you daily digital lesson plans that build upon each other as the unit progresses, all the printables you'll need, colorful posters, and step-by-step directions to make your teacher life as easy and stress-free as possible.
Teaching writing has truly never been easier!
We are talking NO PREP and no more than 5 minutes of planning a day! Just display the teaching slides each day on your interactive whiteboard and teach away!
This Common Core Standards Aligned writing curriculum is the perfect way to teach your first graders how to write informative papers.
This unit sets ALL learners up for success. It's written in an organized, systematic format that helps students gradually learn how to write informative papers.
A unique feature of this unit is that it includes eBooks for background building so all students have something to write about. The eBooks focus on interesting animals that live in various habitats (African savannah, tropical rainforests, arctic regions). You won't need to search for books (or purchase books) before you teach, they are included in this resource!
Grab this No Prep, Stress-Free, and Effective DIGITAL informative writing unit TODAY!
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE?
– No need to search for your lesson plans or spend an enormous amount of time reading them each day. We have them right on the slides - making your teaching life stress-free.
Digital Lessons Include:
· “I Will” Statements – To keep students laser-focused on the objective of the day. We use “I will” statements instead of “I can” statements as they hold the students more accountable
- Writing Chats – To introduce topics and build background information and vocabulary
- Watch Me Slides – For the teacher to show the objective through thinking aloud and modeling. This is oftentimes interactive to keep student engagement high.
- Our Turn Slides – For students to practice the new skill with you.
- Your Turn Slides – For students to independently practice the skill learned.
– After each writing skill has been explicitly taught and practiced, students are held responsible for their learning by engaging in a writing assignment aligned to the day's learning target. Extra printable pages have been included to offer you quick and easy resources to differentiate assignments for your students.
– Great for formative assessment! As you walk around and observe students, record your findings. This easy-to-use checklist helps you remember who is meeting targeted standards and who needs extra help. This is a helpful tool to refer to when planning for parent-teacher conferences.
– This handy resource is perfect for grading informative papers and discussing goals and progress with students and parents.
- Set of 14 informative writing posters to display in your classroom.
HERE IS A GLIMPSE OF THE FOCUS FOR EACH WEEK:
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 1 – Identify and write facts and opinions
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 2 – Write factual sentences
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 3 – Write a topic sentence and factual sentences
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 4 – Closing sentences, note-taking, informative writing
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 5 – Write an informative paper
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 6 – Write an informative paper
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 7 – Write an informative paper
· WRITING FOCUS WEEK 8 – Write an informative paper
WHY EXPLICIT INSTRUCTION FOR WRITING?
It’s simple… IT WORKS!
Explicit instruction (also called direct instruction) works for all writers…not just the stronger ones. It’s a strategy that allows teachers to scaffold learning by giving structured, sequenced lessons targeting specific skills or standards. It’s teacher-led with a gradual release of responsibility to students. This method truly allows all students to succeed.
If you are thinking, that doesn’t sound like Writer’s Workshop, you’re right. It’s not. Years ago, we implemented Writer’s Workshop in our classrooms, but it didn’t work for us… or our students.
The biggest problem was that it was very difficult to manage and keep students on track. It was also a planning nightmare trying to find mini-lessons to match our students’ diverse needs. And to make matters worse, when we gave mini-lessons students didn’t necessarily practice the targeted skill because they were at a different stage of the writing process.
We were disappointed, frustrated and knew we had to do something different.
We decided to put structure and intentionality into our teaching. We clearly state what students will be working on, give thoughtful instruction through modeling and discussion, and provide time to practice as we observe and guide. It is so simple to manage and gives students the support they need. The result? Students are now writing better than we've ever seen! This method truly works!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING THIS WRITING RESOURCE?
- The entry point for this unit is assessable to all learners.
- Lessons are carefully and thoughtfully scaffolded, ensuring success for all.
- The Watch Me, Our Turn, Your Turn format sets your first-grade writers up for success.
- Your students will be highly engaged and motivated to write.
- At the completion of this unit, your students will be confidently writing informative papers with ease.
WHO IS THE RESOURCE FOR?
· First-grade teachers looking for a strong, yet easy to implement, writing curriculum that is aligned to the Common Core State Standards and fun for kids.
· Special Education Teachers who need to teach students the basics of informative writing using a direct instruction approach.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is this resource aligned to the Common Core State Standards?
Yes! We built this whole resource around the Common Core State Standards for first grade.
Do students complete a writing assignment each day?
Yes, students engage in a writing activity each day. The assignments are highly engaging and help hold students accountable for their learning.
Does this follow a Writers’ Workshop model?
No. the Writers’ Workshop worked great for us in second grade, but not so much in first. Students are explicitly taught a writing skill each day, then they practice the skill taught.
Can this be used with Google Slides?
Technically, yes. Because the digital lessons are made in PowerPoint, they can easily be converted to Google Slides and lesson slides can be pushed out to students. However, we don't feel this is the best way to utilize this resource. (See next section for further clarification.) Also, the individual student pages are not compatible with Google.
How can I use this resource for Distance Learning?
If you are engaging in Distance Learning, we highly recommend creating videos for your students using something like ScreenCastify or using an online meeting format such as Zoom. The lessons need to be taught prior to students engaging in the writing activities. In regard to the student writing pages, just print out the unit and give to parents. If you are unable to do so, almost all activities can be done in a notebook on plain paper.
WHAT OTHER TEACHERS ARE SAYING:
"This is THE BEST resource I have EVER used!!!!! I have purchased a lot of writing resources and have never been happy until now. I honestly cried tears of joy when I first tried her narrative pack. My kids' writing has really improved. They remember lessons. Her way of teaching writing sticks with my kids, even my lowest. I HIGHLY recommend this resource. I would suggest that anyone interested in this, take a chance. You will not be sorry. I am over the moon with writing and I never was. Amazing, incredible, outstanding, phenomenal resource!! Thank you so very much!!!" -Stephanie
"Of all the resources I've purchased this year, your bundles have been my favorite. It instantly makes me feel prepared and ready amidst so many changes. My students love the predictability and I love the fact that I AM ACTUALLY TEACHING WRITING!!!!! Our current curriculum does not serve the needs of our students and I just really really appreciate all the time and effort that went into creating this resource."
"This was very easy to implement and students felt very successful with the direct instruction provided and scaffolds. Thank you!"
"So incredibly well done. Takes the stress away from planning and preparing all writing lessons. My kids love them." -PNW Teacher
OTHER FIRST GRADE RESOURCES YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN
Click HERE to follow us and receive notifications for sales, new resources, and FREEBIES!
PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK on this product to earn TPT credits that can be used on future purchases!
CHECK OUT OUR BLOG AT PRIMARY BLISS TEACHING
Cindy & Becky
Team Primary Bliss Teaching